Local Offer / SEND Information Report for

West Rise Infant School


This Local offer for West Rise Community Infant school was informed by Governors, parents, children and staff.  Throughout this document, where WRCIS is referred to, please note that this includes our Nursery.  The SENCO (school Inclusion Manager & SENCO) works in partnership with the nursery and its specialist SENCO under the West Rise Infant school umbrella. Our Head Teacher Lynne Weir is  also our Inclusion Manager, she can be contacted on tel: 01323-764062 or email: lweir@westriseinf.e-sussex.sch.uk

West Rise Community Infant School Local Offer /SEND Information Report


At West Rise Community Infant School we work to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. Children who are identified as having special educational needs are therefore supported with this aim in mind, working with parents and the children to find their best way of learning.


There is a glossary of abbreviations at the end of this document.


  1. People who support children with special educational needs and /or disabilities in this school


School based information


Summary of responsibilities

Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s difficulties with learning/special educational needs/disability (SEND) And how can I talk to them about my child if I need to?

Class teacher




















The Inclusion Manager (Mrs Lynne Weir)

































The Headteacher, and a named Governor appointed by the Governing Body, with an interest in SEN.


He/she is responsible for:

·             ensuring that all children have access to appropriate teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (known as differentiation);

·             ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to feel included and make progress;

·             ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so that they can make the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources;

·             ensuring that the school’s SEND policy is followed in their classroom, and for all pupils.



Contacted via the school office, by telephone 01323 764062, or email lweir@westriseinf.e-sussex.sch.uk


She is responsible for:

·             co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and/or disabilities, and developing the school’s SEND policy to make sure all children get a consistent high quality response to meeting their needs in school;


·             ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning, kept informed about the support your child is getting, and involved in reviewing their progress against the targets set in planning meetings;


·             ensuring that you are involved in the planning for next steps in your child’s learning, and helping to set appropriate targets for them;


·             working with all those involved in supporting your child, including outside services such as speech and language therapists, educational psychologist etc;


·             updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in the school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs;


·             providing specialist support from teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help all children with SEN and/or disabilities in the school to achieve their full potential;


·             organising training for staff so that they are aware of the needs of all children in their care, and confident that they can meet their needs.


The Governing Body of the school has legal duties, under the Education Act 1996, in relation to pupils with SEN. They are to:

·        ensure that the necessary special educational provision is made for any pupil who has SEN;

·        ensure that parents are notified by the school when special educational provision is being made for their child, because it is considered that they have SEN;

·        make sure that the responsible person makes all staff who are likely to teach the pupil, aware of the pupil’s SEN;

·        make sure that the teachers in the school are aware of the importance of identifying pupils who have SEN and of providing appropriate teaching;

·        designate a member of staff at the school as having responsibility for co-ordinating the provision of pupils with SEN (the SENCo);

·        ensure that pupils with SEN join in the everyday activities of the school together with children without

SEN as far as possible; that they receive the necessary special educational provision and that the provision is efficient education for all other pupils with the efficient use of resources;

·        publish information on the school’s SEN policy on its website and reflect any changes to the policy as soon as possible and complete an annual update;

·        take account of the SEN Code of Practice when carrying out their duties towards all children with SEN;

·        make reasonable adjustments to avoid substantial disadvantages experienced by disabled pupils,

·        write and implement an “accessibility plan” for disabled pupils that aims to increase the extent to which disabled pupils can participate in the curriculum, improve the physical environment of schools to enable disabled pupils to take better advantage of education, benefits, facilities and services provided, and improve the availability of accessible information to disabled pupils.


Where a Local Authority names a maintained school as the school a child will attend on an SEN statement or Education Health Care Plan, the governing body must admit the child to the school. Before naming a maintained school on a statement or Education Health Care Plan the Local Authority must consult the governing body of the school.






Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be provided by the class teacher or may involve:

  • other staff in the school;
  • staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services such as the ASD outreach team or sensory service (for pupils with a hearing or visual need);
  • staff who visit from outside services such as Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.



What are the types of support available for children with SEN and/or disabilities in this school?

What would this mean for your child?

Who can get this kind of support?

Class teacher input via appropriate classroom teaching.

The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.


All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.


Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.


Putting in place specific strategies which may be suggested by the SENCo (or staff from outside services) to enable your child to access the learning task.

All children in school receive this.

Specific small group work. This group may be:

·        run in the classroom or in an appropriate learning area;

·        run by a teacher or teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups;

·        some individualised support from a teaching assistant.


This stage of SEND Code of Practice is School Action. School Action will be removed and replaced by the LOCAL OFFER from September 2014



























Specialist groups run by outside services, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy Service







This stage of SEND Code of Practice is School Action Plus, which means that a child has been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing some extra support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from Local Authority central services such as the ASD outreach team or Service for Children with Sensory Needs (for pupils with a hearing or visual need)


School Action Plus will be replaced by the Local Offer in September 2014, with a small number of children needing a “School Based Plan”.



































Specified individual support for your child of more than 20 hours in school.


This is usually provided via a statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing a particularly high level of individual and small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the resources already delegated to the school.


Usually if your child requires this high level of support, they may also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

·        Local Authority central services such as the ASD outreach team or sensory services (for pupils with a hearing or visual need);

·        outside services such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT), Educational Psychology Service (EPS), Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), Family Support Service.


From September 2014 a Statement Band 02 will be replaced by an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)


Looking at all children, at the assessment on entry to school, and on transition to the next year group, gives a benchmark for each child’s attainment. Your child’s class teacher, with the SENCo, will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have identified a gap in your child’s leaning and progress, or noted that they are vulnerable to underachievement.


This conversation will have taken place during a pupil tracking meeting, held three times a year, as part of discussion following lesson observation by the Headteacher or Senior Leader, or as part of a Year Group team meeting with the SENCo, held in each long term.


Some extra support will be required to close the attainment gap between your child and their peers.


Children in Year 2 who are off their predicted target but on track for level 2b (national average) in SATs will be supported at classroom based level, through differentiation. The class teacher will plan group sessions for your child so that they make full progress.


A teaching assistant will often run these small group sessions, or the individualised sessions, using the teacher’s or SENCo’s plans, or a recommended programme.


If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input in addition to good and outstanding classroom teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside services to advise and support your child to make progress.


Before a referral is made we will discuss your child’s progress with you and together we will plan possible ways forward.


If it is agreed that the support of an outside service is the next step, you will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. speech and language therapist, or educational psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs, and have strategies for supporting your child’s learning.


The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

·        making changes to the way your child is supported in class, such as in providing some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better;

·        support to set targets, using their specific professional expertise;

·        your child’s involvement in a group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional;

·        the school suggesting that your child needs some agreed individual support or group support in school. We will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.



The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process.


After the school has sent in the request to the Local Authority, they will decide whether your child’s needs seem complex enough for a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all the professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue support as before.


After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case, they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHC). If this is not the case they will ask the school to continue with the support as before and also set up a meeting in school to ensure that a plan is in place to enable your child to make as much progress as possible.


The Statement or EHC Plan will have long and short term goals for your child, and will outline the number of hours of individual/small group adult support your child will receive from the Local Authority, showing how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place.


An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Children who are vulnerable to underachievement.







































Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through whole class good/outstanding teaching and intervention groups.


Children who have an identified special need such as speech and language, emotional or physical, or an unexplained need but where the child is not operating within normal levels.













































·        Children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

·        Children who need more than 20 hours of support in school.


How will you support my child with identified special needs who is starting at your school?

We will invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and to speak to staff.


We will make contact with your child’s previous school or nursery, and if other professionals are involved we may meet them or contact them to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies and ensure that provision is put in place before your child starts at our school.


Depending on your child’s needs we may suggest extra transition visits, a photobook, or adaptations to the settling-in period to help your child to feel more comfortable..


If your child is to have a key person involved we will arrange times for them to meet you and your child, so that you can get to know each other.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school, or about their emotional well-being?

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress or well-being you should speak to your child’s class teacher first. If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCo, Deputy Headteacher or Headteacher.


If you are still not happy you can speak to the School SEN Governor.

How will you monitor my child’s progress?

Teachers assess children each short term, and set individual targets from the assessment, looking at their next steps in learning. A child on the Special Needs Register is set more precise targets, which will be agreed with you during an arranged meeting once each long term. Previous targets will be discussed, and adjusted as appropriate.


Children are discussed during pupil tracking meetings, in which the Headteacher, Deputy Headteacher and class teacher discuss individual progress, and in termly Year Group team meetings with the SENCo, in which decisions will be made about the appropriate level of support for your child, and targets for their next step of learning.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?



Class teachers will talk with parents if there are concerns over a child’s well-being, and we encourage parents to talk to us if they have concerns. Children are taught that they can use the “worry box” if they have any worries, and that they can talk to any of the staff if they want to. We have a play therapist on the staff who can work with children if there are specific concerns over a child’s emotional well-being. We can use a tool called “Pupil Voice” to encourage a child to contribute their ideas about their learning, and feelings about school, which is presented in a visual way, and can be used with very young children.


If a child has specific medical needs, the school will work with the school nurse and parents to make a Health Care Plan, outlining the specific support that will be given.


If medicines are to be given, parents are asked to complete a form, giving details of doses and timings. Staff administering the medicines record the dosage and time given.


Behaviour support will be discussed with parents and staff involved with the child. Support will be dependent on a child’s specific needs. If necessary, specialist advice will be sought and acted upon, with the parents’ permission and agreement.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?


When a teacher or parent has raised concerns about a child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the SENCo.


The pupil tracking meetings, in which the Headteacher, Deputy Headteacher and class teacher discuss individual progress, and the termly Year Group team meetings with the SENCo, are other times in which your child may be identified as not having made progress.


If your child is identified as not making enough progress, the appropriate interventions will be selected and targets for your child will be set by the teacher. You will be informed of this, at parents evenings if your child is at School Action level, or during a further meeting if your child is at School Action Plus, or Statement level.


If your child is still not making expected progress after this, the school will discuss with you:

·        any concerns you may have;

·        any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning;

·        how we could work together to support your child at school/home.


The progress of a child with a statement of SEN or an Education Health Care Plan is formally reviewed at an annual review, with adults involved in the child’s education.


The SENCo will check that your child is making good progress in any individual interventions and/or groups they are working in.


A range of ways will be used to inform you of your child’s progress, including home/school books, parent consultation meetings and additional meetings as required.

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?

The school budget, received from the Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEN. The Headteacher decides on the budget for special educational needs in consultation with the school governors and the Bursar, on the basis of the needs of children currently in the school.


The Headteacher, senior staff and significant colleagues will discuss the information about SEN in the school, with regard to:

·        the children already getting extra support;

·        the children needing extra support;

·        the children who have been identified as not making expected progress.

All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEN in this school?

Directly funded by the school

Additional speech and language therapist input.

Additional educational psychology input.

Language and Learning Support Service.

Family Support service.

Specialist adults – play therapist

                               yoga teacher

                              art therapist.



Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school.

Autism Outreach Service

Educational Psychology Service

Service for Children with Sensory Needs

Speech and language therapy.



Provided and paid for by the NHS

School nurse





How are the adults in the school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

·        The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

·        The school has a School Improvement Plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues, or to support identified groups of children, such as those with ASD, dyslexia etc.

·        Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach to children with SEND.



Please click here to see our current Accessibility Plan

The Accessibility plan has been written by Governor and staff in compliance with paragraph 3 of schedule 10 of the Equality Act 2010